|Area||1640.91 square kilometers.|
Kuchbihar district of west bengal (India) on the north, Rangpur district on the south, Lalmonirhat district on the east and Panchagarh and Dinajpur districts on the west.
The Nilphamari subdivision was established in 1875 and was turned into a district in 1984. The district consists of 6 upazilas, 3 municipalities, 33 wards, 65 mahallas, 62 union parishads, 390 mouzas and 370 villages.
Dimla Upazila, Domar Upazila, Jaldhaka Upazila, Kishoreganj Upazila, Nilphamari Sadar Upazila, Saidpur Upazila
Post Codes for Nilphamari District
|Elected MP(s) in 2008 Election|
The tebhaga movement spread over Domar and Dimla in the 1940s. In this movement the activist Tannarayan was shoot dead by the zamindar. Once indigo was cultivated extensively in this district. The Nilphamari region was under the Votmari Chauki during the British period. Later on the Chauki was transferred first to Shekherhat of Badarganj thana and then to Dokra of Domar thana.
|Places to see||
Birat Dighi (present name Nilsagar), Neel Kuthi (Nilphamari Sadar Upazila), Nat Settlement (prison, 1871), Saidpur Church (1893), Dimla Rajbari, Garh (Fort) of Raja Dharmapal and the remnants of his palace (eighteenth century, Jaldhaka), remnants of the palace of Raja Harish Chandra (Ninth century, Jaldhaka upazila), three domed Jami Mosque at Bherberi (eighteenth century, Kishoreganj upazila).
Weekly Nilphamari Barta, Nilsagar, Nilsamachar, Weekly Jaldhaka, Weekly Alpana (Saidpur), Saidpur Barta, Janasamasha (Saidpur); extinct: Jagarani (1962), Nilanchan (1972), Shalki (Domer) and Jaltaranga (Jaldhaka).
|Rivers||Tista, Jamuneshwari, Chikni and Dhaigan.|
Nilsagar Nilphamari : Nilsagar a famous historical dighi (big pond) which stands at Dhobadanga mauza of Gorgram union about 14 km southwest of Nilphamari district headquarters. During the reign of Raja Birat there were many cow farms at Gorgram. Raja Birat dug a large dighi named as Birat Dighi or Birna Dighi or Binna Dighi for the cows. After the independence of Bangladesh the dighi was renamed as Nilsagar. A Hindu mandir stands on the east bank and an abode of a Muslim darvesh on the west bank of the dighi. The area of the dighi is 21.449 ha and depth ranges from 7m to 12m. The entire dighi is surrounded by brick walls. The main decorated ghat of the dighi was made by Raja Birat. Every year the banks of the dighi are used as a village fair site especially during the occasion of Baruni Snan festival in full moon of the month of Baisakh. Usually in the fair the Harikirtan singers play music with many kinds of kirtan songs. Every year many tourists and various kinds of migratory birds come here. It is well known as a recreation zone and a picnic spot.
- The palace of Raja Harish Chandra (ninth century)
- Garh (Fort) of Raja Dharmapal and his palace (eighteenth century)
- Three domed Jami Mosque at Bherberi (eighteenth century)
- Tomb of Hazrat Pir Mohiuddin (Kundupukur)
- Dimla Rajbari
- Saidpur Airport
- Railway Factory in Saidpur
- Uttara Export Processing Zone
- Teesta Barrage
- Saidpur Church (1893)
- Nat Settlement (prison, 1871)
- Leprosy Hospital
- Chini Mosque